Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Luxury Coach Lifestyles (https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   RVing Safely (https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do you really feel safe using cruise control in a 45' coach? (https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465)

pyledriver 10-22-2012 03:39 PM

Do you really feel safe using cruise control in a 45' coach?

I'm not real fond of cruise control even in a car and I notice every Newell I look at has cruise like virtually every car does. Does everyone really use their cruise control in their Newell Coach? Just the thought of the behemoth rolling down the road with a toad attached makes me cringe a little.:unsure:

MrE 10-22-2012 04:18 PM

I personally love cruise control, one less thing that I have to pay attention to, allowing me to pay more attention to what is going on around me. I try to know what is on my front, rear, left and right at all times just in case I have to make an emergency avoidance maneuver. I also like to pay attention to my gauges, making sure that everything is within save operating limits. The one thing that I won't do is answer the telephone unless I have hands free, and even then I will not engage in a conversation that requires too much thought. Cruise set at your optimum RPM will also save you fuel.

Chester B. Stone, Jr. 10-22-2012 05:34 PM

My opinion is that you should use the cruise control whenever possible and practical. Better engine/transmission performance and for me there is a safety issue. In the Newell, and most motorhomes, you sit at a height much greater than in a car and you do not have the same sense of speed that you have when lower to the pavement. Thus, it is easy to run too fast without realizing it.

1993Newell 10-22-2012 05:43 PM

I use my cruise control, I once heard somewhere that one push per one mile per hour. Not sure how accurate it is but I believe it helps save on fuel in the coach.

stewart33 10-22-2012 05:54 PM

I have never felt unsafe using my cruise control but I don't drive that fast.

Cheri Smith 10-22-2012 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2963

Could have fooled me! lol!

Ramblin Ron 10-22-2012 10:17 PM

Nope won't use it.

farmell 10-22-2012 10:18 PM

I actually never think about using it. I just mossie on down the road enjoying the drive feeling in total control of my beloved.

fulltiming 10-23-2012 12:02 AM

Use my cruise control every chance I get. I get better fuel mileage and spend maintain a more consistent speed than I do with my foot.

bRAVE 10-23-2012 04:30 PM

In my SUV I never use it and in our coach to be honest I've never used it...But maybe I will try it. Getting ready to hit the road, I'll be back and let you know my opinion.

prairieschooner 10-23-2012 05:20 PM

I use the CC most of the time. I found that I could maintain a safer speed and get better fuel mileage with CC engaged, it also makes driving much more enjoyable.
I do however disengage it when in Traffic! Southern California is known for the Traffic!

JustDustin 03-07-2013 04:38 AM

I use cruise control in every rig I own. It's there to be used and I use it. :thumbup: In heavy traffic no point though like Steve said.

MrE 03-07-2013 05:50 AM

Old friend of mine used to call cruise control "dial-a-prayer", that was years ago and I still can't get it out of my mind.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDustin (Post 31188)
I use cruise control in every rig I own. It's there to be used and I use it. :thumbup: In heavy traffic no point though like Steve said.

Chester B. Stone, Jr. 03-07-2013 02:33 PM

For me, cruise control is safer being used than not. You sit very high off the road and do not get the same sensation of speed as you do in a car. Without cruise, I have a few time found my speed close to 80.

Neweller 03-07-2013 02:52 PM

I seldom use mine as my foot doesn't get that tired from using the throttle and have a very controlled foot. I might use it more to keep the components exercised from time to time. lol! I used to use it more until I fell asleep at the wheel in a Camaro while it was set at 75 mph going up the 95 in Nevada. I had left Las Vegas around midnight and while heading north on hwy 95 having been driving for a few hours, it was around 7am or so and I just passed Walker Lake, starting to feel tired and a little hypnotized I fell asleep on the two lane highway, when I felt the rumble strip on the opposite side of the road I awoke cranked the wheel to the right, hit the skids, ended up on the other side of the highway down the embankment facing back towards the south and all I seen was one big dust cloud. My 14 year old daughter woke up in the passenger seat and asked; what's going on daddy? If you seen what happened you would never believe the whole thing but that my guardian angel must have been by my side. People had stopped and couldn't believe it either. saying how the car was going off the road on the other side of the highway airborne and all of a sudden turned direction and then there was this huge dust cloud. Everyone thought I was a goner. This portion of highway sits about 25-30 feet above the lay of the land without guardrails on either side. It's a very dangerous stretch of highway. Most vehicles would have flipped or went off the other side at that speed. It was a miracle that I do not ever wish to experience again.

Not saying cruise control is unsafe, it is great for those whom enjoy it and don't do stupid $hit like I did.

GORDON HUMMEL 03-07-2013 02:53 PM

In some electronic engines, in trucks, power is increased when the cruise control in used.

NewellCrazy 03-07-2013 03:07 PM

I hardly ever and actually prefer not to use cruise. I am the minority here when I recommend that you don't use cruise. Your driving a very heavy vehicle and if you need to stop quick while using your cruise control is this possible? Maybe, Maybe not depending on your situation.

fulltiming 03-07-2013 08:27 PM

I don't use the cruise in heavy traffic but out on the interstate (typically western states), I use it almost all the time unless the road is wet. I have braked fairly hard for a rest area exit with the cruise control on. The only extra delay was that my foot was slightly further from the brake than if it had been on the throttle although I keep my foot on the floor right next to and almost touching the throttle. I would agree that if you don't keep your right foot close to the pedals a potentially significant extra delay could occur at 70 mph. I also find my fuel economy is better with the cruise control than without.

MrE 03-07-2013 09:40 PM

Without cruise control I would not be able to grab a cup of coffee and use the bathroom when I traveling alone unless I pulled over.
https://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics...mokin-2223.jpg

Neweller 03-08-2013 02:32 AM

I know a semi driver that loves his cruise so much that he will getting take care of different duties while slightly hanging onto the wheel. Totally just scares the pee out of you! You could never go to sleep while riding with him.